Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Writing

December 2 - Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

-----------------------------------------------------

I make up excuses.
I think that I don't have time.
I write too many emails or copy for work (which isn't the kind of writing I think this question is asking).
It's hard to justify spreading my talents, efforts, time, hobbies too thin (I have enough trouble working on being an actor...blah, blah, blah: I can't buy that excuse even for a dollar, but it is a real, lingering doubt).


I struggle with the notion that I consider myself to be a writer. I don't even know what that means. I've pumped out essays, creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, and even started a play. That was almost always for coursework in college. Thing is: I loved it (usually). But since graduating, I haven't committed to being a writer. And at the same time, I always say that I would like to be one (doesn't everyone?).

If that is truly the case, I suppose I should start writing everyday.

Today I wrote an email. It was a blast. It was tongue-in-cheek to the staff of the company I work at. I'm not quite sure that everyone appreciated it. In fact, it kind of spun the world into oblivion for an hour. But in any case, I had so much fun writing it. I felt the creative juices flowing again. There was a need to communicate and entertain with words.

I'm a bit irritated that this prompt has me swerving between feeling guilty about not writing and feeling completely content about doing what I choose.

But the bottom line is: if I'm going to say that I'm a writer, then I should write.

I'm not talking about making money or anything (would be nice, but it's a far, far shot). I'm just talking about writing. Whether it be a blog post, or even just journaling and working something out for my head.

At the same time, I probably do write via text, Twitter, email, or Facebook status everyday  (not all of them daily, but pretty close, I'd imagine). Does that sound lame? Maybe to some, but it IS communication and it is writing and it is a creative act.

I think the real answer to this question is the on-going battle in my head.

I'm only working with the first part of this prompt.

Is the next step to commit to something?

My hope is to complete this Reverb 10 project. I have a lot of catch up to do. But I'm working on it, and it's been a great benefit already. Once that's done, I think I may brainstorm a list of topics to write about. They are swirling around in my head.

No comments: