Monday, December 13, 2010

Beautifully Different | Riveting


December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful

Reflect on ALL THE THINGS THAT MAKE [ME] DIFFERENT?!

You kidding me?

I read someone’s random post about this and how bogus and superficial it seems. This answer requires a lot of comparisons to other people and judging others. I’m not saying that I don’t do this kind of thing (I am human, afterall).

So I’m going to answer with something so utterly cliché, I’m nearly embarrassed to write it:

I’m me. And that’s all.

I’ll leave this post with something that I really appreciate.

I took a short auditions class this past month and one mantra the instructor repeated is:

“YOU ARE ALL RIVETING.”

His main reason for saying this is that many actors go into auditions and put up a lot of masks. They may have a nervous tic they do with their hands, their face, their voice. They put on personas to keep whoever they are hidden. Acting and auditioning requires a sensitive vulnerability and some major guts. His aim is to wipe all the artifice away and present ourselves to an audition.

Because who I am is the most fascinating thing I can present be in an audition.

This is useful to take into the big ol’ world. No one said this is easy. In fact, it’s incredibly difficult. But I’m starting to recognize actors and people who understand they are riveting. There’s a poise and confidence embedded with humility and love that creates a compelling and fully-realized person. It’s about not comparing yourself to anyone else. Because ultimately, that’s selfish. This self-consciousness that people worry about is a form of selfishness.

This whole business is—to quote my instructor again—is simple. It’s not easy, but it’s simple.

This is all strangely comforting. I’m going to keep this handy for a while, I think.

I don’t think I’ve quite mastered it. But I’m starting to revel in this notion that I am who I am.

I am riveting.

You are riveting.

We all be riveting.

No comments: