Saturday, December 25, 2010

2011 is already shaping to be a crazy/good year

So, I've been committed to the whole Reverb 10 thing. At the beginning of the month. Now, we're in the final stretch, and I've completely stopped. I'm a bit disgruntled about that. As you may recall from some of the posts, I have been excited/proud of the

but at the same time, some major things have happened in the past week.

The biggie:

I got a call asking to fill in for a role up in the Twin Cities (I auditioned for this show in April or something and didn't get an offer--no biggie). I had about 4 days' notice before rehearsals began. The company I work with has allowed me to take the offer. Thus, I drove up to the Cities on Tuesday, and have been rehearing a world premiere commission of The Odyssey. I have a non-speaking role. The pay isn't much at all, but I am thrilled beyond belief.

I'm learning loads. It's been overwhelming.

I'm also getting one heck of a work-out. When you think non-spearking role, you may say: ho hum, I'm just a spear carrier. Won't have much to do....

Well, in this case, it's not that simple. Sometimes I carry a standard or shield and just stay put on stage.

Other times, I'm part of the prow of Odysseus' ship, a sailor, an attendant, eagles of the gods, the left arm of a giant Polyphemus puppet....It's insane how much responsibility I have in this production. And I'm soaking up every minute (when I'm not stretching). There are lots of lifts, stylized movement, fight choreography. It's an epic show (in every sense of the word). I can't wait to share my tracking/plot for this show come tech week.

I've probably said too much (I don't want to spoil everything!). But I'm so grateful to be a part of this wonderful group of artists and have this opportunity to establish more relationships with the theatre community in the Twin Cities.

Needless to say, my "online" life has been severely cutback. Made me realize how much I've been "relying" on it recently.

I think I was due for this kind of intense concentration of a project. I haven't had this kind of thing for a long time, and it's been refreshing.

Makes me feel like I'm part of drum corps again.

I'm not too sore anymore, and am building up more endurance and strength (and working on dive roles).


That being said, once we get back into rehearsal mode on Tuesday, I have a lot of serious time-management  and organization to sort out. I'll be juggling my marketing work with Theatre A, rehearsing with Theatre B, and working on grad school stuff (and my auditions are currently scheduled for the day AFTER this Odyssey show closes!). I think it'll be about making lists and also assigning due dates to things. I've been good about keeping track of "to dos" but I've been pretty awful at actually doing all of them (but to be fair, there's been a lot of stuff going on with wrapping up the year with Theatre A).

This isn't going to be the most restful season for me. I'm taking it easy the next couple days. But then, it's going to be a supremely busy year.

After the Odyssey, I:
  • audition for grad schools (Feb)
  • rehearse/perform/tour a new adaptation of Ibsen's An Enemy of the People (Feb - June)
  • rehearse/perform the role of Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors (June - August-ish)

I'm pleased as punch.

No comments: