Friday, April 8, 2011

Ibsen Tour Day 11

Grand Rapids

My phone alarm went off at 6:30 a.m. This is too early for an actor on tour.
But I had some radio interviews to do over the phone for our upcoming performance in Duluth!

This hotel is already awesome. We know that, but the breakfast sends it in the 5 stars (in my book). Grabbed some fresh fruit (like sliced peaches!) a sausage, egg, English muffin sandwhich, coffee, and juice. Then went back to the room to await the phone.

The first interview:
Went okay. If you've never pitched a show on the radio before, you don't have much time. You have to make it sound enticing. I should have practiced my elevator pitch the night before. And then remember I'm out of my natural habitat of sleeping at 7 a.m.

The second interview:
MUCH better.

The third interview:
Went well too. The interviewee even asked me the following;

Why did you go into acting? (Thank goodness I just wrote my statement of purpose...)

Who would you have dinner with (living or dead) and what would you eat?
I said Tina Fey at Pizza Luce. I don't know if she's THE ONE. Ooh Jim Henson would be a good choice. But the deejay chuckled because there is a Pizza Luce at Duluth (I did my research and will eat there in a few days--whether it's weekend brunch or dinner). Pizza Luce has all these artisan pizzas that are so tasty. I think Tina Fey would be a fan.

Because it was so early, I played bum and watched a couple episodes of Battlestar Galactica and fell back asleep.

That afternoon...
we loaded out the set on the stage in this BEAUTIFUL facility: The Reif Center of Grand Rapids. It's just a giant stage with a cool layout of seats. Maybe I'll get a picture up here. The people helping us out were very friendly and everything (this isn't to say that our other help hasn't been so--quite the contrary). But I just get a great vibe about the space.

THE MONSTER BOOK OF MONOLOGUES
Someday I'll describe what this project EXACTLY entails, but I'll save that for another day. Let it be known that I'm on the hunt for about a billion monologues. I've started to categorize the one I have and begin a Word Document called Tim's Monster Book of Monologues. I'm quite pleased with what I have already. When I read plays now, I will hunt for something and not be so picky about it. Anyway, I worked on that today.

THE TV
Jerome, my roommate, and I have been enjoying John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Stewart's Glen Beck impression is impressive. UK Chef Jamie Oliver was also on The Daily Show and that was fun. I have his Food Revolution Book, and provides some EXCELLENT meals (even for me, a not-really-a-cook).

BAD COP
Is a terrible movie, but Tracy Morgan is in it. We gave it a chance, but it was lame.

I wouldn't say tour is wearing me thin, but I'm less inclined to take a bunch of pictures and things. I'm also preoccupied with grad school duties. But I've got my statement of purpose in, two letters of rec, and my official transcripts. Just waiting on one more (no pressure, Carl).

Tomorrow is a two-show day! (Our first)

No comments: