Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ibsen Day 5

Detroit Lakes

I honestly can’t remember what all went down on this day. They’re starting to blur together; the thrill of tour is fading. We performed the show that evening, I know that much. Since JYO is off for a callback/weekend retreat with Dell a’rte, our director stepped in and played Captain Horster as an understudy.

We arrived at the venue early so we could get Scott into the show and figure out our scene changes. Captain Horster is only at the top of the show and then at the end, so we didn’t have to worry about too many scenes. But he is key for the scene changes.

After that, I walked around downtown (where there’s very little going on), grabbed a coffee and some light supper and worked on the show.

The most notable bit in the show was at the very beginning.

This is how the sequence is supposed to go:
-The company does the dream-chant for Stockmann (the “Enemy”). We all exit with our bricks.
-I immediately take off my citizen coat and hat, exchange it for my Hovstad hat.
-Walk back on stage (in the dark), place my hat on the coat rack, and sit down at the table.
-The blue light comes on, and I’m frozen in the scene (I happen to think it’s quite striking; I don’t know if anyone else would agree, but I think it’s cool. Call me conceited.)

This is how the sequence went:
-The company does the dream-chant for Stockmann (the “Enemy”). We all exit with our bricks.
-I walk back onstage, feel my way for the coat rack, find a hook to place my hat. It was a bit tricky, but I did it.
-I head toward the table and run into one of its legs. I attempt to find my chair. But it’s a scramble. The auditorium is quite large. And I’m sure the stage manager can’t quite tell if I’ve reached my mark. Luckily, I did. But it was a close call (keep this in mind for future blog posts).

For some reason, it hasn’t been an issue getting to my chair. I think there’s always been spillover light from somewhere, but that wasn’t the case tonight.

The show went well though. Scott did a good ol’ job understudying. We went back to the hotel and I watched the first two episodes of Walking Dead. I’m hooked. It’s terrifying and engaging. I don’t need another show to watch. I’m watching Battlestar Galactica on Netflix too. But I’ve heard so much about this one. AMC has it going on, what can I say?

No comments: