Friday, April 8, 2011

Ibsen Tour Day 10

Traveling to Grand Rapids

THE FOOD: Went to the North Grille (or something). They had some of the best hashbrowns I've had in my life. Not too greasy. Yum.

We drove about 2 hours north to Grand Rapids. It was a nice, sunny drive. Midway en route, this giant deer frolicked onto the road. But our great driver, Irene, slowed down, honked and avoided a collision. This was in broad daylight.

THE HOTEL: Is great. For one, it's right next to the birthplace of Judy Garland. It's this cozy Country Inn. They always have coffee and cookies available in the lobby. Swimming pool. Great beds. We're also right next to a Cub Foods and Target. Jerome and I picked up some groceries.

It's a pretty casual day. I tried to get to bed early(ish) because I had 3 back-to-back radio interviews the next day.

THE READS: I read Tennessee Williams's Orpheus Descending in one sitting. One of the hardest things is to start a play that has more than three characters in the very opening scene--especially secondary characters. But I got the hang of it. It's a beautiful, tragic little play that I'd never heard of. I bet I could pull off Val if I learn a little guitar (he's the Orpheus character). Maybe.

No comments: