Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ibsen Tour Day 2

Red Wing, MN

Breakfast - bad! I could just tell the continental breakfast juice was full of corn syrup and food coloring. I shudder about that orange juice. The cranberry was a bit better. I'd give it a 3/10. I didn't even attempt to get the coffee.

Stayed in the hotel room and finished reading Desire Under the Elms (I will soon be a master in reading and deciphering O'Neill's written in dialects). Then I worked on editing my statement of purpose, got some letters of recommendation requests in.

For lunch, a few of us went over to the Caribou Coffee, which had TWO FLOORS! We camped out on the second floor next to the fireplace and started work on theatre admin stuff. I sent out media interview requests for the Ibsen Festival. This is rather dull, I fear.

We drove downtown to the theatre, and I walked around a bit to scope out the shops and cafes. I stumbled across a little toy shop that had a STAR WARS tin lunchbox! It fits most of the makeup I bring for the show (which isn't much). This is definitely a form > function purchase, but I'm a diehard fan, and don't care. I will proudly tote my Star Wars lunchbox/makeup kit on tour and make it work.

THEN: Showtime!
My bud J-YO and I went to an upper mezzanine for a pre-show workshop with a teacher and his AP Lit students. Only the teacher and one student showed up, so we talked about the play, its themes, and how this particular production would differ from what they read. The teacher uses An Enemy of the People for his class EVERY YEAR (which is fascinating to me). His excitement and enthusiasm was quite infectious. I was pumped to do the show.

I have a (I think) funny little video I shot from dressing room antics. But I haven't uploaded it on YouTube yet.  I hope to later this afternoon. You won't want to miss it.

The show was odd. The crowd was humble, but responsive (certainly subdued from the politically-charged audience in Wisconsin last weekend). I had a weird concentration lapse in the final scene. I was speaking some lines, thinking I had jumped a whole page. I really hadn't, but some paranoia seeped in, and I was completely self-conscious about the whole scene. There were some little line hitches. I'm certain no one could even notice--even the actor playing Thomas said he thought I was just doing something different. In any case, it was bizarro.

LOAD-OUT: Only took 40 minutes! Our set is a bit complicated. We have quite a lot of fragile authentic props and set dressing. There's a specific order and configuration to loading the truck and the props. I'm on props crew and handle most of the newspaper scene stuff (along with marketing lobby display).

PERKINS! I wanted to save some money, but I was too hungry like many other cast mates. 5 of us went to a nearby Perkins, and I had the delicious Farmer's Omelette (with onions, green peppers, sausage, bacon, and probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting). But it was a jolly time.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: I started an episode of this brilliant show on Netflix (thank goodness for Wi-Fi), but I was too tired and fell asleep halfway through the episode. This goes to show just HOW tired I was, because I'm usually able to make it through one episode. This show is too gripping.

We're driving off to Detroit Lakes tomorrow (a 5 hour drive). No shows until Friday (and then we have two)

---------------

I took some pictures. I'll include the Star Wars tin, the dressing room video, and some shots of the theatre once I get them on my laptop.

No comments: