Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ibsen Tour: Day 1

Yesterday, we piled in the cars and started off on the road.
Our destination: Red Wing, MN--just southeast of the Cities, on the Mississippi River (about two hours away).

The jams: Ray LaMontagne and a Live Lounge Mix

The reading: I began Desire Under the Elms by Eugene O'Neill

The venue: is awesome. I can't get over how Broadway it looks. It's a deep stage with a brick wall along the back. The lobby isn't quite secluded from the house. The downstairs dressing room area just feels like an old time New York theater. I can't say for sure, but I get that aura about it.

I'm way too lazy to rotate this. So just imagine, if you will that it's right-side-up.

We had some complications this time around because we do quite a bit of acting from the house and use the aisles to get up on stage. In this venue, we aren't able to just step on stage--we have to take indirect routes, so we managed to figure all of that out. I think it's all sorted out.

Adjusting a curtain leg on this batten.

I think this may be my favorite venue so far (we've been at three other stages in Wisconsin and Iowa a couple weeks ago). I'll be able to get a better sense of this when we perform the show tomorrow.

The food: Bierstube's - a German restaurant just across the street from the hotel. I had a 1/3 pound Max burger, which includes onions, bacon, cheddar, and barbeque sauce (and excellent kettle chips). I also had a Bierstube's Red, which reminded me a lot of Grain Belt Nordeast.



Then....

SWIMMING!
After relaxing a bit, I jumped in the pool, swam around and spent some time in the hot tub. All in all, it was a fairly low key day.

We have a performance tomorrow (Tuesday night).

I'll try to keep up with these reports.

No comments: