Saturday, August 28, 2010

Wardrobe/Brain Malfuction

I forgot one essential costume piece for Thursday’s performance:

The glasses.

I noticed they were missing with about half a page of dialogue left. I considered running to the dressing room to grab them, but I would have most certainly missed my cue, and I would have been short of breath, and I may have fallen backstage. There were a number of possible hazards involved.

Right before my cue, I told myself it’s not going to be a problem. They are just glasses. It’s no big deal. They weren’t even an original part of the costume design. It was just an extra little thing the designer handed me. I looked at them and though: “is he serious?”

These glasses are ridiculous. But that accessory along with the hat I wear are the critical elements (for me) that make Schmendiman zing to life. They are the last thing I put on before going on stage, and I was a bit distracted (to be honest).

Think caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland. They’re kind of marbely dark brown and black on the frames. Perfect circle lenses that magnify the eyes. It’s a treat, let me tell ya.

I burst on stage and it was the weirdest sensation. My face felt naked and I was hyper self-conscious about being self-conscious.

Frustrating to say the least. The audience wouldn't know any difference. I don’t even know if my fellow castmates knew (some did).

I won’t be forgetting them again, but it’s odd and strange how this ONE detail threw me off my game. Makes me mad that I let it. Everything on stage should have this notion that it's happening for the first time at that moment. Spontaneity is key, and muscle memory has been worked inside body and mind...it's frightening that I'm in a kind of a rut (or perceived one anyway). I've been doing this role since MAY. You'd think I'd embrace such a "change," but that wasn't the case.

I’m not gonna beat myself up about it.

There's another chance tonight; it's a sold-out house. This run will close a month from now.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

In the end, the little malfunctions happen to everyone at some point. As do the ruts. Everything will be good, and break a leg with your performances for the next month :)