Sunday, August 1, 2010

Two Gentlemen of Verona

PREVIOUS TIES WITH THIS PLAY

I haven’t read this or seen a production of it. I did have production photos and elements of the Guthrie’s version in my head whilst reading this. But I’m not sure how that colors my reading any more or any less. I knew there was a dog in the show, and it would be really fun to see a dog that just kind of sits on stage with Lance.

All in all, this is a pretty fresh read of the play.



REACTIONS

I’m not quite sure what to write here. I don’t think it’s going to be any fun to summarize these plays. (Especially the more complicated ones).

You’ve got your basics for a Shakespearean comedy in this one: mistaken identity, young lovers, some clowns (inherent in many, if not all Shakespeare, no matter the genre), two weddings (well, they’re bound to happen in the end). Sorry to spoil it for you.




THE ENDING

It’s nearly impossible to believe all the forgiveness and pardons going off like fireworks.

You’ve got this guy (Proteus) who’s head over heels with this girl (Julia). Then he goes on some forced, educational travel and becomes even more head over heels with his best friend’s (Valentine) girl (Sylvia). At the end, Proteus is prepared to “love [Sylvia] ‘gainst the nature of love: force ye.” Then, the stage direction indicates “assailing her.”

Valentine forgives him.

I mean, I guess it's win-win for everyone, but at what cost?


MONOLOGUES

Yeah, there are a couple Proteus possibilities. I’m not convinced they’re the optimal choices. There's not much to offer in terms of talking TO someone. I better mark them just in case.

Ultimately, this is a silly, silly play with some inconsistencies (are we in Mantua, Verona, or Milan?).

The scene with the Duke and the rope was fun.




READING CONCLUSIONS

I’m not sure that stretching my reading of this play over the course of the week is the best practice. It’s kind of hard to retain all the scenes. And this is a simpler play of Shakespeare’s. I may have to be more diligent in arranging longer reading periods through this.

1 comment:

Susanna said...

I also remember seeing this play at the Guthrie, alos without any previous connections to it beforehand, and I know what you mean about the ending. In some ways I think that scene is more challenging to a modern and feminist viewpoint than "Taming of the Shrew" is. I remember Kate writing about it and saying something like, "And after Proteus attempts to RAPE Sylvia, he cries for about five seconds and everyone forgives him." And yeah, Valentine forgives his friend (and even offers Sylvia too him), but what about Sylvia? So . . . yeah, I'd agree it's a pretty silly play, and a pretty easy conclusion to fickle and obsessive love. Which you've already noted.