Saturday, September 4, 2010

Monologues, Monologues

I just read MOONCHILDREN by Michael Weller. It's all about college students in the mid-60s. There's a possible monologue in there that would involve three characters in the room. Well, it starts with just two (Bob and Kathy) and then another enters early on, which totally switches the initial situation.

I think it's extremely active and has a lot of tonal colors to it (it's kind of funny and tragic). The stakes are extremely high, and it has a clear beginning, middle, and end. I would just have to place each character in very specific places on stage and keep them there (although Kathy does exit at the very end. I suppose I'd have to follow her exit with my eyes and head a bit...it depends if I want to add the "punchline" at the end).

By now I should just write it out for you guys.

Has anyone done a monologue where the actor is responding to two other characters?

The more I think about this, the more I like it as a possibility for grad school audition. I think I'll put it near the top of my list. I've acquired a nice working list of possibilities so far. Up to this point they've almost all been contemporary plays. I have to start thinking strategically about pairing them with Shakespeare (THAT reading is behind schedule, but I don't feel "guilty" about it by any means. I have started reading Titus Andronicus).

---------------------------

I think another good step is to order a bunch of headshots NOW. There is absolutely NO use in waiting until the last minute. I CAN control a lot of anxiety over these little details if I nip them in the bud now.

My resume is essentially up-to-date. I am waiting to hear a couple casting details for next year's season.

--------------------------

Other than that, I'll probably need to start getting some monologues on their feet and test them out with colleagues (which does involve a lot of work and is much easier said than done, I realize).

No comments: