Tuesday, August 24, 2010

King John

I have finished reading King John. I dunno about these histories....

I had no experience with this play prior to reading it. I just dove in without much context at all. Perhaps that's foolish, I can't really say.

There were parts that had me hooked. I think my favorite part was the scene between Hubert and young Arthur. Philip the Bastard has some pretty great speeches too. I need to do a lot more research and reading if I select any audition material from this.

But now I can safely say that I've read King John.

This week is Titus Andronicus--I'm already behind schedule, but I'm committed to trucking through with this challenge. This should be a relatively easy read. I've seen two productions of this, and I'm really excited to look at the Julie Taymor film. I'll save that for AFTER I've read it.

And while reading one play a week isn't the most difficult thing I've ever done, I'm pouring over other material: plays, essays, and novels.

No comments: