Friday, August 6, 2010

The present/ and future of Actor Called Tim

I've been messing around with the new blogger template/design thing. It seems every day I have a new layout/design. Now, I'm vying for something simpler. Only a couple fonts, not too many colors, etc.

I'm happier with this so far.

My thoughts about this blog have been pretty conflicted. I've been reading a lot of other ones lately. Most of them are larger, theatre or cultural blogs that aren't so personal. I'm getting a bit tired of actor's blogs to be honest. The ones I enjoy the most are people I know, or people that I've established some kind of relationship with (whether it's online or not). Actor's blogs about the highs and lows of auditioning in New York and LA are completely boring to me. I don't care. I'm all for documenting and logging progress and observations. I think that's vital, personal work, but it's definitely not engaging reading.

A year ago, I set this up to have a better focus toward my acting in the real world. It's been a way for friends and family to keep posted on what I've been up to. The work has been steady, it's been the case since May 2009--all at the same company. I also have future plans that aren't quite ready to be public knowledge.

In any case, I'm not a struggling actor at the moment. I'm supremely grateful for this.

My interest in reading and communicating (online) about theatre lie with new trends in how artists market their work. I want to know what's happening across the nation in regional theatre. That's what is most exciting to me. Yes, it's dying, but so is poetry, literature, and everything else in this world.

No, scratch that, all these forms are changing and evolving. I'm not willing to say that it's dying.

At the moment, I don't want to dive in quite yet and have my own official actor website. Blogger can be manipulated to have such a thing, but I'm not quite ready to jump into that. I don't quite have that need. Perhaps this is misguided, perhaps not.

Grad school prep is looming.

I'm hoping to find a funny contemporary monologue that pairs well with serious verse (Shakespeare). I'm not going for kitsch and quirk. I'd like something that has heart. Think Jimmy Curry in the Rainmaker. He's a bit of a dope, but he's earnest and committed. If anyone has ideas of plays I should look into, I'm all ears. The buck doesn't stop with two monologues. I've got some others in my back pocket that can serve me well. But I'm vying for a fresh start.

In any case, I hope to do more sharing, more commenting, and more writing on this. It won't necessarily be just about acting and theatre. In fact, I've got some ideas swirling about graphic novels. I just read Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine. It's my first foray into this genre, and it's striking.

For those of you who've stuck around, thanks. I hope you find it all more interesting. Not much may be happening in the tiny town where I'm living, but once you leap into the super connected world wide web, there's a lot going on, and I'm eager to take a more active role in all that.

2 comments:

S. said...

Have you heard of the 'new' shakespeare play. Double Falsehood http://pws.prserv.net/jwkennedy/Double%20Falshood/index.html

Laurel said...

Blogs are funny things - it's such a personal thing in such a public forum - but I like reading them for just that reason. Like you, I'm not so interested in the 'actor blogs' detailing every audition, but more in the blogs that give an insight into 'actor life' in various cities or markets. Not just the opportunities, but the culture, the day-to-day, etc.