Wednesday, January 8, 2014

ARS Day 8

Today we worked through the big dinner scene. Once we figured out the main entrance of the waiters, and an onstage table, it went pretty smoothly. We've got a great system and my other waiters along with Abbi have been immensely helpful in handing off props or receiving them. This will just take reps and more reps.

We also worked through the other scenes I was in--not too major, but I did end up calling "prithee" for every line I had in one scene. Not my proudest moment. I'll be sure those are worked out cold.

Other than that, I kept plugging away with the trumpet duet transcription for this one song we're planning to do. It'd be easy if it was just one trumpet, but we've got the players and it's a beautiful line. This is not a skill that comes easily, and it's been tedious (especially when I consider how much other work there is to be done). Still, I'm confident it will be awesome. Chris and I were able to check some of the phrasing in the afternoon, and it made all that work begin to pay off.

This does bring up another interesting issue: how much work does one do outside of work? It's tough. Our rehearsal days are eight hours long, and we manage to crank out a lot. But there's always more to be done. Right now, I'm working on lines outside of rehearsal (there's no other way), but when it comes to music--especially trumpet stuff--I'm devoting time I have off during regular rehearsal hours to commit to that. We still have another week before SERVANT has dresses and previews. I think we're managing to get through the skeleton of two songs each day. This should get us on track for next week's opening.

 

No comments: