Wednesday, June 29, 2011

We're in the home stretch

I always intend to update this thing, but I fear it will always veer into the "AH! I have so much to do!"

Right now, I'm in a swirled rotation of the following:
  • Work
  • Prepping for training my replacement at work (which is still work, but completely different)
  • Reading the monster reading list (a lot of acting theory)
  • Reading plays and hunting for monologues
  • Pilates
  • Yoga
  • Occasional running
  • catching a movie here and there
  • "moving logistics" planning, apartment application, packing, etc.
  • light following of the drum corps international tour and scores
It's busy. Now we're entering the final stretch. I'm in Lanesboro for 16 more days. Theoretically, in 30 days, I'll be moving into an apartment in Houston.

The apartment business is the most nerve-wracking at the moment (because it's not a for-sure thing yet). I'm also not eager about essentially moving twice in 2 weeks. I've got stuff in MN and then at home. I'm taking everything home and assessing what I need to bring. Right now I live in a fully-furnished house. In a sense, it's great that I don't have much stuff, but I will still be continually packing and unpacking.

Okay. So go back to the first sentence of this post. Gah. I told ya so.

I waver between feeling thrilled and terrified. Then there's also some inadequacy/paranoia settling down here and there. I also need to add to the list my monologue prep for the first week. Here's what I've got to perform within the first five days:

First night of orientation:
  • 2 monologues (the pieces I used to get here)

Then, on Friday night: a first year showcase of sorts.
  • 2 contrasting 2-minute monologues
  • 1 verse and chorus of a song (a capella)
  • 30 seconds of Standard British

I've got the song and Standard British figured out (but it's a secret). Now I need to just pick the right pieces for this Friday showcase.

THEN on Saturday morning, we audition for The Hot L Baltimore and Our Lady of 121st Street:
  • two contrasting 1-minute monologues (I'm really close to having this figured out)

I'm going to stop with this because it gives me minor anxiety.

But that's my world right now. I breathe and knock off one thing after another. This summer has been about leaping into the shallow end of the grad school pool and adjusting to the growing pains of what this training will require. This is a big pool though, and it goes much deeper, I'm sure. But it does me no good to worry about the entire pool yet (even though it's easy to do).

No comments: