Sunday, June 5, 2011

Boom!

Last night, I saw Boom!



It's dubbed as an "international lost and found marching band."

Six actor/musicians comprise the band. You've got members from Jersey, Nova Scotia, Germany, New Zealand, Russia, and Ireland. And they're all brothers and sisters due to their "careless" scientist parents (or something). (The crew is actually from Kansas City...)

It was a zany, zany stuff that had careful attention to detail. And it was performed to a full house in at the American Legion in Lanesboro, MN.

This show incorporated everything that is (or was) my universe: marching band, choir (there were some beautiful 7-part harmonies), and theatre. And it dawned on me that I have tools to create my own show. I mean, it's always been there, but it was more palpable and immediate than ever before. Perhaps I'll even campaign to join their sequel as their long lost Brazilian/Carnavale trumpet-playing brother. I think his name shall be Eduardo.

It's also struck me just how much I want to see some more theatre. I've only seen like 5 productions this year. Granted, I live in a town of 788 people, and it's a good two hours away to the Twin Cities. AND, I'm more concerned with the reading list and monologue hunting and other preparation for grad school. But I'd love to see more. This performance filled me with wonder, imagination, and whimsy

1 comment:

J.Ro said...

I agree with everything above. So much fun, the music was amazing. One addition to how they "dub" themselves; they are an "international lost and found FAMILY marching band." Which, to me, adds more spice and humor to it all.