Saturday, June 11, 2011

Mamet & LaBute (and more)

I read two things today:

1. Neil LaBute's The Shape of Things - I tread along, thinking there'd be monologue possibilities, but I'm just not digging the final climactic monologue for Adam. Maybe I'm placing too much judgment on it, but its power lies in its context (I think). And I have a feeling that, yes, I could include this monologue in my portfolio, but I don't know that I'm going to have ANY DESIRE to work on it. So I kind of feel like that was a waste of time...

Additionally, I pride myself on the ability to cut and paste a monologue from dialogue together, but that was tricky to do with LaBute. There's just a lot of overlapping stuff that hinges on what the other person says. Good thing it was a quick read. I may change my mind, but I think I'm done pouring over LaBute plays for this monologue hunting. I'm guessing nearly every actor in his/her twenties has a LaBute monologue in their pocket.

2. David Mamet's Writing in Restaurants - I was lost at first, but I got into a groove, and he's redeemed himself since True & False. (But I'm pretty sure T&F came AFTER Restaurants). It's a random assortment of essays on theatre, showbiz, culture. I copied down quite a few quotes.


“Camus says that the actor is a prime example of the Sisyphean nature of life. This is certainly true, and certainly not novel, and additionally there is this: a life in the theater need not be an analogue to “life.” It is life.”

And

“Actors are many times afraid of feeling foolish. We should teach each other to feel power rather than fear when faced with the necessity of choice, to seek out and enjoy, to feel the life-giving pleasure of the power of artistic choice.”

And

 
"[The organic] actor brings to the stage desire rather than completion, will rather than emotion. His performance will be compared not to art, but to life; and when we leave the theater after his performance we will speak of our life rather than his technique. And the difference between this organic actor and the self-concerned performer is the difference between a wood fire and a fluorescent light.”

------------------------------------

In other news, I'm done with my acting tenure at the Commonweal. It's been an adventure--just over two years. I've worked on 6 supremely different roles (and probably at least a couple hundred performances). Two of those roles have been Ibsen (as interpreted by Jeffrey Hatcher). It's an eclectic bunch and I'm immensely proud of this work (and I can tell it's made a difference to people).

I've got just over 30 days left in Minnesota. Then I pack my things, try to sort it all out in South Dakota, and head to Texas. I think my roommate and I are settling on a place to live. I've got to get proof of income, which I'm not sure how to make that happen quite yet.

Aight: It's time to get ready for company-wide dance party. I'm the DJ.

No comments: