Monday, October 12, 2009

Oh the weather outside is frightful...



I had to go to the basement of the house today. That's where all the storage is. In the storage are hats and scarves and blankets. Alas, I'm in Minnesota, so go figure.
It snowed almost all day. It's let up by now, and I hear the sun will be out tomorrow. It'll be all melted (most of it has already). It was optimal snowball snow.

Shoot, I need to find my gloves.

Plenty of leaves are green.

Flowers are still out...lilting, but they're still there.




This morning, I woke up at 5:30. This is early. This is supremely early for me. I usually roll out of bed around 9 or 10...or 11. I had to tag along for a pre-show workshop for some students. The school was an hour away, and their first period begins at 7:50...I just shudder at the prospect of having early American Lit that early in the day.

Anyway, another actor and I gave them a bit of a jumpstart on The Rainmaker, explaining the world of this drought in the late 1930s and just how much of a big deal it is for Lizzie to get married--not only for her happiness and comfort, but for economic reasons too (of course, Jimmy, my character, thinks the world's going to blow up, so he just wants everyone to be as happy as they can before the big BANG!).

The actor (who plays Starbuck) is in charge of a lot of educational elements with the theatre. Afterwards, we talked about how we can be more effective. We both agree that getting them on their feet doing some of those goofy acting warmups isn't a bad idea. That also gives a small taste of what it may be like to participate in our summer conservatory.

The students will see the show on Friday morning (which will start at 10 am, that's quite an early call...) I hope our little talk was helpful or provided a TINY bit of context that will orient the stakes.


[Above is the view from my window this morning]


I spent the rest of the day calling a lot of community education departments in the area. Each school district has an office for community ed. We're hoping to advertise our workshops for students and teachers (and the conservatory). I left a lot of phone messages and quickly got over my phone anxiety. It usually takes a couple trials to figure out how best to say what I'm trying to say. But trust me, I've made plenty of strange voice messages where I just end up fumbling over my words. Ah well.


I'm starting to feel a bit under the weather. I've been pumping lots of Emergen-C and water. I bought a bunch of soup and orange juice. I'll be getting to bed earlier than normal (and it feels like midnight already, but it's only 9 pm). Tomorrow is a long day at the restaurant.

In other news, I'm starting to dive into grad school audition work. Doing some re-research and looking over scripts and monologue possibilities. I've got some good leads that are pretty exciting.