Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Final Day in Chicago ( long bulleted list)

While in Chicago I have:

  • Witnessed a few nutso people on public transit systems. I am not a public transport kind of guy. I have a car, and used it all the time in the Twin Cities (not that they have an exquisite system). But in the past couple days, I've been navigating the L with aplomb. I even took the bus from Downtown State Street to the University of Chicago late last night--all has gone without a hitch.
  • Had three interviews for three programs I would most definitely attend in a heartbeat. Two of them were much more engaging than the one, but I was able to pump out some surprising spontaneous moments--moments that I'm not sure where they came from (except organically in the situation). I pride myself in adaptability and a go-with-the-flow kind of discipline. I don't get bogged down in ritual when it comes to acting and preparation (although I have been doing A LOT more stretching and physical warming up.
  • Been annoyed with some actors in the waiting rooms. This isn't a new development to anyone in the business.
  • Received some great comments from my screening round. For my first contemporary piece, a judge said "simple, connected, good active discoveries." For my Shakespeare: "very nice partner attention, text clear and specific." WOO HOO!
  • Have been moved to the final round of URTA auditions. I was in the same boat last year. Last year, I bombed them. I was too self-conscious, disoriented by the space (a WEIRD stage). This year, the room is much more managable and intimate, which is great for my pieces. I just can't blow this final audition out of proportion. I just have to keep at a nice steady trajectory that I've been on for the past two days. Because I want a lot of callbacks/interviews today
  • That being said, I've had some great interviews already (as mentioned before). I just don't want to bank on the very, very few eggs I've placed.
  • I'm trying not to obsess right now. I've done some work emails this morning. I caught up on Google Reader (over 160 blog posts and other entries--I did a lot of skimming).
  • My sense of anxiety, tension, and nerves are supremely diminished this year. I'm so glad I did these last year. I get the great sense that they have prepared me in ways I can't even imagine. You'd be surprised how comforting it is to know the layout of a hotel this time around. Wabash Avenue is also familiar.
  • My sense of using a scene partner and using their reactions (or non reactions) effectively has grown in monologue work. On the flipside, I have come to crave working with someone else on stage. I've had the great fortune of using recruiters as partners (per their request) and bouncing my reactions off of what they give me (isn't that what acting is anyway?). None of my preparation has been acutely refined or blocked and that is a relief.
  • My pieces are way better choices than last year.
  • I'm FREEZING in Chicago. 
  • Attended "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" at the Steppenwolf last night. It was exquisite, acerbic, hilarious, and haunting. I was moved to near-tears when Honey became hysterical (George tells a "story" of his second novel that mirror's the whole reason Nick got married to Honey in the first place: she was knocked up). What. A. Play. And what a cast. Tracy Letts and Amy Morton were dazzling (so were the other Nick and Honey actors).
  • I could ramble much more. I should head off in an hour. I may try to find some headphones. Mine are busted.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Amy Morton blew my mind in August: Osage County. One of my favorite performances ever.

Glad that things are going well. Knock 'em dead today! Saying prayers for you.