Friday, April 16, 2010

You know what irritates me a bit?

"You were in character the WHOLE time!"

Gee, you think?

I'm grateful for audience members.  I'm grateful for feedback and engaging in conversations with them.  It's a wonderful trademark of working in a tiny town and doing theatre.

But I don't think this is a unique quality of the size or town of the theatre.  I've heard this in college and in other theatres. For whatever reason, people MARVEL at this staying in character thing.

It's my job, folks.  I'm a professional.  Of COURSE we're going to be in character the whole time.

I just don't know how to respond earnestly. 

"Thank you?"

1 comment:

S. said...

usually they ask me 'how do you learn all those lines' - no matter how big or small or crazy or whatever the part is, this is always what they ask... and I am always tempted to reply in a sir ian mckellen way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43sbtkQM6zc