Friday, December 11, 2009

Snow Daze

We've were dumped with snow. And I have proof.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This is just outside the theatre. I attempted to show how deep the snow got in some places, but that failed.
--------------------------------------------------------------


The bluff nearby. I'm not sure if this photo can give the proper justice it deserves. Earlier this morning, the sun hit the bluff and made it all shiny with this haunting pinkish tint. You'll just have to take my word for it.



--------------------------------------------------------------


Obligatory here's-my-car-underneath-a-ton-of-snow picture. Take a look at the front left part of the hood.


--------------------------------------------------

Because of all the snow, I've been cooped up in the house, working on monologues. Here's the initials of every word to a Romeo monologue. It's a handy way to check memorization without having all the words in front of you:



----------------------------------------------

WE HAD A PERFORMANCE OF 1940'S RADIO HOUR
last night. It was so great to be back on stage after three days of sitting around and watching movies. I did a bit of cleaning, but it was a ton of nothing. Last night, I finally had to walk to the gas station and get some milk (it's about a mile walk, round trip). My eyelashes felt particularly frosty after that trip.

BUT I DIGRESS.

The show was a lot of fun. It felt great to have a renewed sense of energy and purpose. The crowd was rather...inebriated... They were responsive to us, but it got to be a bit annoying and distracting.

I have a tiny speech where I talk about being in flight training and going off to war.

I said: "I got a call last night from my folks in Greenwood, Indiana..." I paused, trying to find the best way to say "and they said the best Christmas present I could give them next year would be my being home." Well, before going into that weighty bit, a couple people started cheering, applauding:

"WOO! Indiana!!!"

I stopped, hoping the silence would shut them up. It worked, but it put me completely out of the rest of the speech.

The audience acts as the actual audience of the radio show that is broadcast live throughout New York. So we interact with them and appreciate some verbal nods here and there. This time though...it was unwelcome.

A baby was also in the audience.
It wasn't too distracting. While I was changing into my tap shoes and Ann is singing "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," I heard the baby coo. The mics picked that up into the dressing room feed. That was pretty adorable.

AND THEN TODAY we had 200 middle/high school students catching the show. They just didn't seem to appreciate the 40's. It's funny how one night the entire audience knows ALL the music, and the next it goes right over their heads. I think they ended up enjoying the show (or getting out of classes for a morning).

No comments: