Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Starting to Settle In

Hey all,

I’ve been done with college for two months already. It hasn’t quite sunk in. I thought this may be a good way to share with friends and family (and perhaps strangers, which is likely) about what I’m doing.

Here are the facts:

I live in a town that has fewer than 800 people.

  • I am serving as an acting apprentice for ten months with the theatre company (which is in its 21st season).
  • This means acting in shows (and understudying, which has happened already).
  • I’m spending three months in a different administrative area. Right now I’m working with the Marketing team.
  • Next I’ll do Development.
  • Then I’ll end with Production.
  • The artists at this theatre are some of the most tireless, dedicated people I have met. It’s incredibly encouraging and inspiring (and exhausting).
  • I’ve not done a lot of theatre outside of school. This is the longest run of a show (four months) playing Jim Curry in N. Richard Nash’s THE RAINMAKER.
  • This script is phenomenal.
  • I have fight call before every performance. It’s now known as: “It’s 6:45, let’s punch Tim.” (said in the most casual matter-of-fact voice of the stage manager)
  • In addition to the shows, the theatre has a live, one-hour radio show on Sunday nights in the summer. I’ve sung and done radio theatre. You can check out the shows here. It’s pretty fun.
  • I also wait tables at a nearby cafe. It’s kind of fun (I’ve never done it before) and allows for a bit of extra cash.
  • I just got a new bike and am slowly exploring the surrounding trails.
  • I’ve been writing a bit more poetry lately. Be on the lookout for some lines in the future–perhaps.

No comments: